Well, I guess Dr. Nordine's prediction of possibly coming home by Thanksgiving isn't exactly coming to fruition. That sounded so far away when he said it. I don't think anyone knows how long it will be now. I have a pact with another long-term nicu mommy (who also has one twin at home!) to be home by Christmas. I don't know if our babies will listen. Thursday night brought more high co2's. Dr. Nau is leaving the heliox on, and turning the vapotherm flow down since Ethan's lungs are still over-expanded. We think perhaps now too much pressure might be making him work harder. Like trying to take another breath in when your lungs are already full. I do know that Ethan is grumpy when the flow gets turned up! Yesterday afternoon co2 was back down to 82. Still not perfect, but better.
Somehow it seems like we just have to find the magic combination of what Ethan needs and he will just fly through the rest. Poor baby just wants to eat. He can't get enough of his binki, especially when it is dipped in milk! His suck is still quite disorganized, but I've been doing 'suck training' with him when he is calm and alert. After a minute or two he is able to actually coordinate some good sucking on my finger. I think once he is able to get some actual milk coming out he'll be even better. I'm hoping feeding will be a short road, not a long one.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you don't have a blogger account, Please remember to sign your post if you want us to know who you are. :)