Thursday, November 06, 2008

Roller Coaster... Again


These pics are from Halloween at UIHC. Ethan was not so much a fan of the hat...

I'm sorry it has been so long since the last post. You are all probably wondering what in the world is going on. To tell you the truth I haven't felt much like writing lately because I have been so frustrated with this whole thing. Ethan arrived back at St. Luke's on Monday. We are so happy to have him close to home where we can spend more time with him! But Tuesday morning we got a call from Dr. Rosenblum... never a good sign. Ethan's CO2 was 120. What the heck? It was mid-50's to 70's at UIHC. The only explanation that the doctors have come up with is that he had a burst of steroids at the end of his stay at UI. This might be the backslide that often happens after the steroids are done. I suppose that's possible. Or it could be that he was oxygen starved from having an obstructed nasal cpap tube and we didn't know it. All I know is that I thought for once that he was really getting better. And now it feels like we're back to square one. They put him back on heliox (he's off again today), turned cpap up to 10 (now down to 9), added more steriods, and gave him breating treatments every hour. His co2 is better now, 68 this morning. But 86 at noon. So, it's more under control, but still not there. Are you all as tired as I am of wondering what Ethan's next co2 will be?
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you don't have a blogger account, Please remember to sign your post if you want us to know who you are. :)