Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Ethan goes mobile!

Yesterday I turned around, and there was Ethan on his tummy! Ok, so his left arm was stuck underneath him, but I am counting it! Today in PT he did it again, but was able to free his arm with a little support. He also was trying to crawl. While on his tummy he was pushing with his legs and trying to go forward! With a little (ok, a lot) of help he was able to move forward about two feet.

Who knew that he would be 16 months before achieving this milestone? We certainly didn't. But then, Ethan does many things his own way and in his own time. The OT asked me yesterday when the doctor said kids like Ethan usually get off of oxygen. I told her that I'm sure the doctor could give me an average, but that would have nothing to do with when Ethan will be off of oxygen! He doesn't seem to like to do anything anywhere near when he "should".

Not that I am complaining, I really am just incredibly thankful that he is actually doing all of the "normal" things. Considering all of the things he has been through - distress in utero, born 2 months early, pulmonary hemorrhage the night he was born, PDA ligation (heart surgery), pneumonia, long term intubation, etc etc etc) - there is so much more that could have gone wrong. As it is, the doctor and therapists are all still telling us that they don't see any reason that he won't "grow out" of his breathing troubles as he grows new lung tissue and be a "regular" little boy. Sometimes it is hard to remember this through all of the tube feedings, medications, the constant whirring of the oxygen machine, tubing, tanks, and monitors beeping... but for all of this that is helping my little boy and giving him the support he needs right now, I am thankful!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

1 comment:

  1. It is a joyous day! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete

If you don't have a blogger account, Please remember to sign your post if you want us to know who you are. :)