This is the tongue-in-cheek response I give Ethan whenever he's giving me quiet little whimpers, trying to give me his most current sob story. I know it looks heartless in print, but rest assured, he breaks into giggles when I push out my bottom lip and try to empathize with the little guy. We generally sing our "Ethan Song" complete with dancing, and the small rain cloud over his head has soon dissipated.
It's been a while since I've written anything for the blog, and so I thought it was high time to add some emotional hyperbole and long-winded-ness to the proceedings (I look at Lisa as the "embedded reporter on the front lines" with the staccato posts and the grainy film while I'm Brian Williams in the warm, dry studio commenting on the days events. That is, until I go home...)
Nevertheless, I'm coming to understand that one of my old teacher adages, "You learn more than you teach" is becoming more and more true as a parent.
The lesson I've learned from Ethan is that it is a true measure of a person's character that, when in physical or emotional discomfort, you can still giggle, there is always hope. His laugh makes me lose composure all of the time, especially when I can tell his stomach hurts. But just the simple fact that he still experiences joy in the midst of discomfort is something I'll remember forever.
Allison consistently reminds me that the sole purpose of her waking periods is to grow more and more independent. Although I'm already feeling that she's growing up too fast, I know that it is important to watch her eat her first solid food and to watch her practice crawling. She wants to so badly do things for herself that all I can do is help and encourage, but to not over-help. Plus her smile, especially her morning ones when she first wakes up, are worth any sleepless night.
And, on her birthday, I have always marveled at what an amazingly strong, committed mother Lisa has been and will be for the children. She inspires me to give of myself and to be the parent Ethan and Allison need me to be. Lisa has proven that the human heart has no upper limit for compassion, that the more you give, the more it expands to keep giving. I am proud to be her husband, and to know I get to parent along side her each day.
No comments:
Post a Comment
If you don't have a blogger account, Please remember to sign your post if you want us to know who you are. :)